Now this is looking much better!
The data is almost all in order. I am finding issues when I try to go to the Community tab to access the forums. They were working earlier so something got mixed up.
You will see the state of Activity as it was left on Mar 18, 2018. Once I go through some finer points (Paypal stuff, Ads, Forum, Email communications), I believe we will be back where we need to be!!!
Data, data, everywhere!
There’s just too much. We have a database that was created for testing and it made more sense to use this as a starting point and simply add to it what was essential.
The hope is to preserve everyone’s score so leaderboard won’t change.
What will change is your history of games played. This data consumes too much and since we need to reupload cutting down data will speed up the process.
We’re still testing this theory, but the production data simply doesn’t run properly so this is the best option.
I know we’ve been throwing a lot of techno speak around this blog. Many of you have been asking what this database is that took so long to transfer (it did finish transferring!)
Most of you are familiar with Excel, right? It’s a spreadsheet full of rows and columns. Each column has a name (first name, last name, address, etc). Each row has a line of data which fills in all those columns. This is basically a database, although it doesn’t interact with a web site – it stands alone by itself.
A database is a full blown version of this concept: Rows, Columns, Tables, lots of other cool things too.
Each Excel file can have multiple sheets. In database terms each sheet would be called a table.
There are sooooooo many tables in the VU database! Some have over 50 million rows of data! (rows). We tried pruning down some of the old game data such as chats, game logs and such.
Our main goal is to get the game running again, and then go back into the data to find what we can edit more.
Some concerns you had were your stats which should remain untouched. Your memberships should also remain untouched, although time has not allowed us to research this past of the database since getting the game back up is becoming very time consuming!
We will be setting up new Paypal subscription buttons (we don’t want Shane getting any of the money now lol), but you should be ok with your current membership – but please let us know once we’re back up!
I may reach out to some of you to help in some tests. I need to make sure the emails will go out as before – when a game starts or your turn comes up, etc.
VictorsUnited.com is now under the control of Noodleware Software LLC. We’re still waiting on the DNS to propagate across the internet. It’s similar to putting in a change of address which needs to be updated on thousands of DNS computers around the world – could take a couple days.
In the meantime we are working on repairing the site and getting it back online to its last working state which was on Mar 18, 2018. Testing can be done once the massive database is transferred which will be sometime in the next couple hours.
To keep in touch with the latest progress, keep visiting the VU Blog.
The database file has been transferring to the new server since Friday. It’s expected to complete its transfer some time Tuesday. Let’s pray the power doesn’t go out !
We’ve been at it for days with Godaddy – Kevin and myself trying to properly get VictorsUnited.com transferred over to the Noodleware Godaddy account. Their tech support is a bit helpless with certain technical issues, but a simple domain transfer should be easy to accomplish!
Once this is completed the domain will be in our possesion. For the time being we have a staging domain set up and I am uploading the database as I type this. It’s a huge file and I hope it will upload without any issues (give it about 6 hours or more!!!)
The old system which was upgraded this summer is still too slow to run all the software required to work on Victors United.
A sparkling new more powerful computer has just been ordered!
Hoping to get the database pruned down to a manageable size prior to uploading to the new server.
Too many rows in this database that is no longer needed.
My crack programmer friend Gene is assisting with some finer aspects in getting the game up and running.
I’m pruning the data quite a bit. Don’t expect to be able to search for any games older than 2017 (you don’t need to anyway). Making the data file smaller will speed up game play. I’ll also attempt to remove all those Farfetch games we’ve been complaining about.
The mail goal is to get the game running and then we’ll work on adding new maps and eventually some new programming ideas that have been in discussion for a while.
I know it’s been a while since we all got to enjoy playing VU, March 18th to be exact. The new server we’ve ordered is ready for files to be transferred!
Hoping this won’t take too ling, although that database we’ve played games and added chats to is a whopping 90GB in size, so uploading this will take some time.
Maybe I’ll keep the computer running all weekend.
(This is NOT the new server – lol)
Once it’s set up files and data will begin to be transferred. We’re hoping to get the game up and running soon after that!
My crack programmer Gene stopped by and we dug deep into the VU code. Seems my project computer may be a bit too old to run the game locally, so I may be purchasing a new laptop soon.
Gene (again) was able to get the game running immediately on his Win10 laptop – so it makes sense I need to upgrade.
We do have all the files which were running online and those will be transferred to this new server. I will then be working on updates and additions once I get the new computer.
This stuff is never easy, folks!