I hope to have an update in a day or so.
Taking all this code which has been running fine on Shane’s home computer for years – and getting it to run on mine, are worlds apart.
Nothing is working. The web code which I should be able to run is also not cooperating. I emailed Shane a huge list of issues and hope to get a reply tomorrow.
I was able to trim down the database quite a bit. There is no need to keep chat and game logs for games prior to 2017.
I also have a good friend who is much more familiar with Visual Studio than I am, who is assisting on my end.
Hoping to have some good news in a couple days.
Shane is sending me the latest database which contains everything up to March 18, 2018.
We will be extending game end times so no one loses any turns.
A few more snags need to be worked out and once that’s all cleared up, it will take a bit of time setting everything up on the server.
I have everyone’s emails and will send out a blast when we’re back up.
Until then please hang in.
I did get the site to run, then when I powered down and back up later that day (4/30 if I recall) it did not work.
I gave all the code and data to a friend who got it running right away, so there’s more going on here that just the code and programming.
I’m hoping he and I can compare computer details to see if that’s where the issue lies.
After some back and forth with coding concerns, Shane was able to determine what was causing the game to ‘crash’ on my computer.
I’m happy to announce we got it running!
You’ll notice the URL states: http://localhost:65076/ which means the site is running on a server on my computer, not over the internet (just yet).
But it is running! Notice I registered as a new user ricknoodleware.
Now the big challenge will be to set up a new Microsoft server using the company I’ve worked with for over a decade who handles my web client server (which is UNIX based). I am also waiting on the current database from March 18 and a couple more map images, but I can start getting things set up for all to enjoy!
It’s early. I’m thinking. I’m thinking about how I’m going to approach today’s trouble shooting.
Sometimes it’s better to be away from the computer. It’s like writing a song – don’t have an instrument around, just figure it out in your head.
I finally have SQL server 2012 running but I still need to connect to one of the databases Shane has provided to me.
It’s not easy because it’s Microsoft – they always want you to try to scratch your head a little bit to figure things out – they never give you any kind of straightforward solution.
I’m hoping there’s an updated document waiting for me in my email. Shane has been adding to it daily and I think it’s probably almost completed.
Maybe he’ll mention something about getting the database connected.
Plus I still am waiting on the last working database that crashed on March 18. This has the most recent version of the scores and such and is 90gb in size I’m told!
This post will keep everyone up to date as to the status of me getting the site running on my local Windows 7 machine.
- 4.25.18 am: I first need to make sure SQL Server 2012 is running and can connect to one of the test databases given to me prior to opening the site in the Visual Studio environment. There can be many, many needed extras in a Microsoft world – some of which you are not aware of until you keep installing things and all errors messages stop. It’s always been this way for Microsoft!
- 4.25.18 pm: As Shane mentioned to me this site was originally designed with SQL Server 2012 installed on his computer. This older version was very hard for me to find on the MS (Microsoft) site, but I was able to track it down. I now need to remove everything pertaining to Server 2014!
I have received the first of several technical documents from Shane. He is outlining the details of getting the VU site running on my home computer and also how to set it up on a proper server.
Once I receive all the code and data, I’ll be running tests here at home to make sure the site is fully functional. I will then be setting up the server and transferring everything needed and run further tests.
Once things are looking good, VictorsUnited.com will be transferred to me and we will have the site running once again.
This entire process could take weeks so please be patient.
As you may have heard, my company Noodleware.com has (finally) purchased VictorsUnited.com. We had a deal going last year but it didn’t work out.
Kevin and Shane did offer the site again once it (unfortunately) crashed back on March 18th. They made a generous offer, so contracts were revised, signed and returned earlier this week.
I am now waiting on several things:
- All the source code, images and such (being mailed) for recreating the site on my home computer. After everything is running properly (be patient here!) files will then be transferred to my server and be back online for everyone.
- Facebook and Twitter admin rights so I can give better updates
- Paypal access so I can manage everyone’s recurring memberships (hoping you didn’t get charged during downtime!)
I have everyone’s email and am attempting to reconnect. There are over 30,000 emails that have singed up over the years!!!
I hope you’l keep in touch and please comment here about anything.